Let me start this post by saying I am in NO WAY a flatlay queen, unlike a few friend’s and bloggers I know and love to follow myself.
I have struggled with the so called “flatlay” for an INCREDIBLY long time, not because I don’t know what a great flatlay looks like but because I honestly had NO CLUE where to even start.
Apart from being so entirely lost I rarely photograph anything myself unless it’s food or I absolutely HAVE to.
- Find a BIG window with great lighting, this way the lighting is natural and not overpowering. **tip–flatlays are best to be done on overcast days, it creates a “buffer” so the lighting is perfect.**
- Use a thick piece of cardboard and wrap it with white/colored paper or whatever you choose — this creates that flawless white background everyone tries so hard to achieve.
- Make sure you have some Instagram worthy props.**tip– the dollar store, micheals and party store are GREAT for this.**
- Place things on the white board by the window and organize however you’d like!
- Take a lot of pictures, make slight changes and use different angles so you have a lot of photos to choose from.
Now comes the hard part– EDITING :
After trying a few different photo editing apps on my phone Snapseed and VSCO have been my winners, Snapseed for editing and VSCO for filters.
- Upload your photo to snapseed– then tune image.
- Adjust the exposure — I usually end up brightening the exposure.
- Contrast– Add contrast this will make the colors more prominent.
- Add Saturation.
- Cool the temperature of the photo or warmth– I usually do -10.
- Sharpen the details of the image.
- Save and upload to VSCO !
- Once you have picked an Instagram filter and saved your photo with vsco congrats ! You hopefully have an Instagram worthy flatlay !
Thanks to Daniel Wellington I finally have an Instagram worthy watch !
You can shop my watch here or use the code “MYCLOSETJOURNEY” for 15% off your order!